Flash flood watch issued for portions of central Pa
Lehigh Valley weather: Flash flood watch in effect 2 p.m. through … Sat, 17 Jul 2021 03:00:00 -0700-The watch is in addition to an earlier issued flash flood warning, forecasters said.
In addition to a flash flood warning set to expire at 9 p.m., the National Weather Service at State College has also issued a flash flood watch until 10 p.m.
The watch includes Dauphin, Lebanon, Adams, York, and Lancaster counties, specifically in Lancaster, Gettysburg, Lebanon, Hershey, Harrisburg, and York.
Forecasters expanded the watch due to a slow-moving front that will continue to dump heavy rainfall from thunderstorms across the “watch” area the rest of Saturday evening.
“Extremely wet soils will lead to rapid runoff and possible flash flooding in areas of heavy rain,” forecasters said. “You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.”
Flash flood watch issued for portions of central Pa. Sat, 17 Jul 2021 03:00:00 -0700-Rainfall of an inch or more is anticipated in a short period of time, the National Weather Service says.
The Lehigh Valley and surrounding region are under a flash flood watch in effect from 2 p.m. Saturday through late Saturday night, the National Weather Service says.
“Thunderstorms with locally heavy rain are expected to affect eastern Pennsylvania, northern Delaware and New Jersey from Saturday afternoon into Saturday evening,” the watch states. “Rainfall totals of 1 to 2 inches are anticipated in a short amount of time with local amounts up to 3 to 5 inches possible.”
A watch is a step below a warning, which indicates severe weather impacts are imminent. The flash flood watch continues: “You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.”
A separate severe thunderstorm warning was issued for Lehigh Valley communities until 3:45 p.m. Saturday.
The Lehigh Valley is also included in a severe thunderstorm watch until 11 p.m. Saturday, the weather service said.
At Lehigh Valley International Airport, showers and thunderstorms are forecast mainly after 2 p.m. Saturday, and some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain, the weather service says. The chance of precipitation is 80% Saturday and Saturday night, with a daytime high around 90 giving way to a low overnight of 70.
The chance for showers and thunderstorms continues Sunday at LVIA, with a 40% chance of precipitation, partly sunny skies and a high near 81. More showers and thunderstorms are possible into the work week, with only a slight chance of precipitation (20%) Monday, 30% chance Tuesday and 50% chance Wednesday.
Total precipitation at LVIA is about normal for July, but 1.61 inches below normal since June 1 and 3.72 inches below normal since the start of 2021, according to the weather service.
Visit lehighvalleylive.com/weather for the complete forecast for your location.
Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe today to lehighvalleylive.com.
Kurt Bresswein may be reached at email@example.com.
... read more
– July 17, 2021