NewsUK

Cyprus Four dead after suffers most destructive39; forest fire

Cyprus Four dead after  suffers most destructive39; forest fire
cyprus fire


Cyprus: Four Found Dead in Most Destructive Forest Blaze … Sun, 04 Jul 2021 15:00:00 +0100-Interior minister Nicos Nouris said Civil Defence volunteers discovered the remains just outside the village of Odou on the southern edge of the Troodos mountain …

image

Four dead after Cyprus suffers ‘most destructive’ forest fire

image
 

image

Cyprus Forest Fire

Search crews have discovered four charred bodies outside a fire-swept mountain village on Cyprus in what a minister called the “most destructive” blaze in the eastern Mediterranean island nation’s history.

Interior minister Nicos Nouris said Civil Defence volunteers discovered the remains just outside the village of Odou on the southern edge of the Troodos mountain range.

The blaze, which began on Saturday afternoon outside the village of Arakapas, spread quickly amid strong winds and forced the evacuation of at least eight mountain villages, destroying homes and scorching 21 square miles of pine forest and orchards.

“We are experiencing the most destructive fire since the founding of the Cyprus republic,” Mr Nouris said, adding that 50 homes were damaged so far.

Authorities believe the bodies belong to four Egyptian labourers aged 22 to 29 who had gone missing on Saturday evening. Mr Nouris said he has informed the Egyptian ambassador to Cyprus and arrangements will be made to repatriate the remains.

Odou community chief Menelaos Philippou told state-run Cyprus News agency the four men who worked at a greenhouse that grew tomatoes tried to flee the fire along a mountain road, but their small truck veered off the road and fell down an embankment. They then try to flee on foot but did not make it.

President Nicos Anastasiades called the fire “an unprecedented tragedy” except for the destruction wreaked by a 1974 war that split the island along ethnic lines after Turkey invaded in response to a coup aimed at union with Greece.

Mr Nouris said Greek and Israeli aircraft will join 11 other planes and helicopters in firefighting efforts.

image
A burned car outside a damaged house on Troodos mountain (Petros Karadjias/AP)

Residents who saw their homes go up in flames vented anger at what they called authorities’ slow response.

Mr Anastasiades, who toured the fire-hit villages, pledged immediate government help to farmers and homeowners who lost crops and property and the families of those who died.

Police said a 67-year-old man faces arson charges. A court ordered that he remain in custody for eight days to assist the investigation into the cause of the fire.

Mr Nouris said firefighting aircraft and ground crews are focusing on two massive fire fronts between the villages of Odou and Vavatsinia.

Mr Anastasiades said the blaze is “partially contained” but the flames could intensify again if strong winds resume.

image
Police gather on Troodos mountain (Petros Karadjias/AP)

Mr Nouris said 36 people who were evacuated have been taken to hotels in the capital Nicosia, while food and water was being supplied to residents of the village of Melini.

The blaze forced the Cypriot government to request firefighting aircraft from fellow European Union nations and Israel.

Fire officials said the entire department has been mobilised to fight the fire, including 70 fire engines, seven bulldozers and 10 water tankers. Many volunteers also rushed to help fire crews.

A pair of helicopters from British military bases in Cyprus have also helped firefighting efforts.

Two Greek Canadair CL-415 aircraft arrived in Cyprus to battle the blaze, along with two Israeli fixed-wing planes.

 

image

Cyprus Forest Fire

Search crews have discovered four charred bodies outside a fire-swept mountain village on Cyprus in what a minister called the “most destructive” blaze in the eastern Mediterranean island nation’s history.

Interior minister Nicos Nouris said Civil Defence volunteers discovered the remains just outside the village of Odou on the southern edge of the Troodos mountain range.

The blaze, which began on Saturday afternoon outside the village of Arakapas, spread quickly amid strong winds and forced the evacuation of at least eight mountain villages, destroying homes and scorching 21 square miles of pine forest and orchards.

“We are experiencing the most destructive fire since the founding of the Cyprus republic,” Mr Nouris said, adding that 50 homes were damaged so far.

Authorities believe the bodies belong to four Egyptian labourers aged 22 to 29 who had gone missing on Saturday evening. Mr Nouris said he has informed the Egyptian ambassador to Cyprus and arrangements will be made to repatriate the remains.

Odou community chief Menelaos Philippou told state-run Cyprus News agency the four men who worked at a greenhouse that grew tomatoes tried to flee the fire along a mountain road, but their small truck veered off the road and fell down an embankment. They then try to flee on foot but did not make it.

President Nicos Anastasiades called the fire “an unprecedented tragedy” except for the destruction wreaked by a 1974 war that split the island along ethnic lines after Turkey invaded in response to a coup aimed at union with Greece.

Mr Nouris said Greek and Israeli aircraft will join 11 other planes and helicopters in firefighting efforts.

image
A burned car outside a damaged house on Troodos mountain (Petros Karadjias/AP)

Residents who saw their homes go up in flames vented anger at what they called authorities’ slow response.

Mr Anastasiades, who toured the fire-hit villages, pledged immediate government help to farmers and homeowners who lost crops and property and the families of those who died.

Police said a 67-year-old man faces arson charges. A court ordered that he remain in custody for eight days to assist the investigation into the cause of the fire.

Mr Nouris said firefighting aircraft and ground crews are focusing on two massive fire fronts between the villages of Odou and Vavatsinia.

Mr Anastasiades said the blaze is “partially contained” but the flames could intensify again if strong winds resume.

image
Police gather on Troodos mountain (Petros Karadjias/AP)

Mr Nouris said 36 people who were evacuated have been taken to hotels in the capital Nicosia, while food and water was being supplied to residents of the village of Melini.

The blaze forced the Cypriot government to request firefighting aircraft from fellow European Union nations and Israel.

Fire officials said the entire department has been mobilised to fight the fire, including 70 fire engines, seven bulldozers and 10 water tankers. Many volunteers also rushed to help fire crews.

A pair of helicopters from British military bases in Cyprus have also helped firefighting efforts.

Two Greek Canadair CL-415 aircraft arrived in Cyprus to battle the blaze, along with two Israeli fixed-wing planes.


... read more

Four dead after Cyprus suffers 'most destructive' forest fire Sun, 04 Jul 2021 15:00:00 +0100-M Cyprus search crews discovered the bodies of four people outside a fire-swept mountain village on Sunday in what a government minister called the “most …

image

Cyprus: Four Found Dead in Most Destructive Forest Blaze

July 04, 2021

World

Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 4:37 am | כ”ד תמוז תשפ”א

image

Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 4:37 am | כ”ד תמוז תשפ”א

image
A view of flames from a fire in the Larnaca mountain region, July 3. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias)

M

Cyprus search crews discovered the bodies of four people outside a fire-swept mountain village on Sunday in what a government minister called the “most destructive” blaze in the east Mediterranean island nation’s history.

Nicos Nouris said that Civil Defense volunteers discovered the remains just outside the village of Odou on the southern edge of the Troodos mountain range.

He said authorities are trying to confirm whether the bodies belong to four Egyptian men who had gone missing and search crews had been trying to locate.

“We are experiencing the most destructive fire since the founding of the Cyprus republic in both material damage, but also unfortunately in terms of human lives,” Nouris said.

Nouris said Greek and Israeli aircraft will join 11 other planes and helicopters in firefighting efforts later Sunday.

The blaze, which began on Saturday afternoon, forced the evacuation of at least eight mountain villages, destroyed several homes, and has so far scorched 50 square kilometers (20 square miles) of pine forest and orchards, according to Cyprus’ Environment Ministry.

Nouris said firefighting aircraft and ground crews are focusing their efforts on two massive fire fronts between the villages of Odou and Vavatsinia. He said authorities are “cautiously optimistic” that they’ll make progress in beating back the flames, but strong wings expected later in the day could hamper efforts.

He said 36 people who had been evacuated from their homes have been taken to hotels in the capital, Nicosia, while food and water is being supplied to Melini village residents.

The blaze forced the Cypriot government to request firefighting aircraft from fellow European Union member countries and neighboring Israel. Fire department officials said the entire department has been mobilized to fight the fire with off-duty staff being called back into service.

Around 70 fire engines, seven bulldozers and 10 water tankers have been mobilized.

Cypriot government spokesman Marios Pelekanos said that one of two Greek Canadair CL-415 aircraft that were dispatched to the island had to turn back because of a technical malfunction.

He said two Israeli planes have been sent, while authorities are awaiting confirmation about the arrival of two Italian aircraft.

Police said that a court has ordered that a 67-year-old man remain in custody for eight days to assist in the investigation into the cause of the fire.

World

Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 4:37 am | כ”ד תמוז תשפ”א

image

Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 4:37 am | כ”ד תמוז תשפ”א

image
A view of flames from a fire in the Larnaca mountain region, July 3. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias)

M

Cyprus search crews discovered the bodies of four people outside a fire-swept mountain village on Sunday in what a government minister called the “most destructive” blaze in the east Mediterranean island nation’s history.

Nicos Nouris said that Civil Defense volunteers discovered the remains just outside the village of Odou on the southern edge of the Troodos mountain range.

He said authorities are trying to confirm whether the bodies belong to four Egyptian men who had gone missing and search crews had been trying to locate.

“We are experiencing the most destructive fire since the founding of the Cyprus republic in both material damage, but also unfortunately in terms of human lives,” Nouris said.

Nouris said Greek and Israeli aircraft will join 11 other planes and helicopters in firefighting efforts later Sunday.

The blaze, which began on Saturday afternoon, forced the evacuation of at least eight mountain villages, destroyed several homes, and has so far scorched 50 square kilometers (20 square miles) of pine forest and orchards, according to Cyprus’ Environment Ministry.

Nouris said firefighting aircraft and ground crews are focusing their efforts on two massive fire fronts between the villages of Odou and Vavatsinia. He said authorities are “cautiously optimistic” that they’ll make progress in beating back the flames, but strong wings expected later in the day could hamper efforts.

He said 36 people who had been evacuated from their homes have been taken to hotels in the capital, Nicosia, while food and water is being supplied to Melini village residents.

The blaze forced the Cypriot government to request firefighting aircraft from fellow European Union member countries and neighboring Israel. Fire department officials said the entire department has been mobilized to fight the fire with off-duty staff being called back into service.

Around 70 fire engines, seven bulldozers and 10 water tankers have been mobilized.

Cypriot government spokesman Marios Pelekanos said that one of two Greek Canadair CL-415 aircraft that were dispatched to the island had to turn back because of a technical malfunction.

He said two Israeli planes have been sent, while authorities are awaiting confirmation about the arrival of two Italian aircraft.

Police said that a court has ordered that a 67-year-old man remain in custody for eight days to assist in the investigation into the cause of the fire.


... read more
– July 4, 2021
Cyprus Four dead after suffers most destructive39; forest fire
cyprus fire

Tags
Back to top button