ADarkWeb

Boris Johnson Questions for continue over funding of flat


UK's Boris Johnson provokes fury over alleged 'let bodies pile high … Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:00:00 +0100-Downing Street says the Prime Minister has acted in accordance with codes of conduct and electoral law.

Questions for Boris Johnson continue over funding of flat refurbishments

 

General view of 10 Downing Street, London, in the rain (Dominic Lipinski/PA)

Boris Johnson was facing mounting questions over how refurbishments of his Downing Street flat were paid for, as No 10 declined to deny he received a loan from the Conservative Party.

Downing Street insisted the Prime Minister “has acted in accordance with the appropriate codes of conduct and electoral law” in defending his conduct on Tuesday.

He was facing continued questions of how the refurbishments were paid for, after former aide Dominic Cummings said Mr Johnson wanted donors to “secretly pay” for the work in an “unethical, foolish, possibly illegal” move.

The Tories also declined to deny a suggestion, first reported by ITV, that the Conservative Campaign Headquarters paid the Cabinet Office to cover initial costs of the refurbishments, with Mr Johnson now repaying the party.

Labour said there are “crucial puzzle pieces missing”, and that the “stench around who may have lent him up to £200,000 for the refurb… will only grow” unless Mr Johnson publishes the long-delayed list of ministers’ interests.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said that list, last published in July, would not be updated until after No 10 appoints a new independent adviser on ministerial standards.

Sir Alex Allan resigned from the role in November in response to Mr Johnson standing by Home Secretary Priti Patel despite an investigation finding her conduct “amounted to behaviour that can be described as bullying”.

Mr Johnson’s spokesman said: “Any costs of the wider refurbishment in No 10 have been met by the Prime Minister and he has acted in accordance with the appropriate codes of conduct and electoral law.”

He was pressed on a denial by then Prime Minister’s press secretary Allegra Stratton on March 8.

“Conservative Party funds are not being used to pay for any refurbishment of the Downing Street estate,” she had told reporters.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson (Justin Tallis/PA)

But asked about suggestions to the contrary, the spokesman said: “I’ve seen the reports and the speculation on that, I’m not going to jump ahead of any potential declarations that need to be made.”

Cabinet Secretary Simon Case has been tasked with reviewing the refurbishment of the flat in No 11.

The head of the Civil Service said there is a budget of up to £30,000 per year for prime ministers to renovate their Downing Street residency, with any costs beyond that met privately by those in office.

Last week, the Daily Mail published details of an email from Tory peer Lord Brownlow in which he said he was making a £58,000 donation to the party “to cover the payments the party has already made on behalf of the soon-to-be-formed ‘Downing Street Trust’”.

Labour has called for a full investigation by the Electoral Commission into the situation.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “The declaration of interests that will be made available once we’ve appointed the replacement for Alex Allan, that work is in train.

“One of the first things that person will then do is then look at the ministerial interests and then make sure they can be published in the normal manner.”

 

General view of 10 Downing Street, London, in the rain (Dominic Lipinski/PA)

Boris Johnson was facing mounting questions over how refurbishments of his Downing Street flat were paid for, as No 10 declined to deny he received a loan from the Conservative Party.

Downing Street insisted the Prime Minister “has acted in accordance with the appropriate codes of conduct and electoral law” in defending his conduct on Tuesday.

He was facing continued questions of how the refurbishments were paid for, after former aide Dominic Cummings said Mr Johnson wanted donors to “secretly pay” for the work in an “unethical, foolish, possibly illegal” move.

The Tories also declined to deny a suggestion, first reported by ITV, that the Conservative Campaign Headquarters paid the Cabinet Office to cover initial costs of the refurbishments, with Mr Johnson now repaying the party.

Labour said there are “crucial puzzle pieces missing”, and that the “stench around who may have lent him up to £200,000 for the refurb… will only grow” unless Mr Johnson publishes the long-delayed list of ministers’ interests.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said that list, last published in July, would not be updated until after No 10 appoints a new independent adviser on ministerial standards.

Sir Alex Allan resigned from the role in November in response to Mr Johnson standing by Home Secretary Priti Patel despite an investigation finding her conduct “amounted to behaviour that can be described as bullying”.

Mr Johnson’s spokesman said: “Any costs of the wider refurbishment in No 10 have been met by the Prime Minister and he has acted in accordance with the appropriate codes of conduct and electoral law.”

He was pressed on a denial by then Prime Minister’s press secretary Allegra Stratton on March 8.

“Conservative Party funds are not being used to pay for any refurbishment of the Downing Street estate,” she had told reporters.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson (Justin Tallis/PA)

But asked about suggestions to the contrary, the spokesman said: “I’ve seen the reports and the speculation on that, I’m not going to jump ahead of any potential declarations that need to be made.”

Cabinet Secretary Simon Case has been tasked with reviewing the refurbishment of the flat in No 11.

The head of the Civil Service said there is a budget of up to £30,000 per year for prime ministers to renovate their Downing Street residency, with any costs beyond that met privately by those in office.

Last week, the Daily Mail published details of an email from Tory peer Lord Brownlow in which he said he was making a £58,000 donation to the party “to cover the payments the party has already made on behalf of the soon-to-be-formed ‘Downing Street Trust’”.

Labour has called for a full investigation by the Electoral Commission into the situation.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “The declaration of interests that will be made available once we’ve appointed the replacement for Alex Allan, that work is in train.

“One of the first things that person will then do is then look at the ministerial interests and then make sure they can be published in the normal manner.”


قراءة المزيد

Questions for Boris Johnson continue over funding of flat … Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:00:00 +0100-British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is facing a mounting controversy this week over comments he allegedly made last year.

UK’s Boris Johnson provokes fury over alleged ‘let bodies pile high’ Covid comments

April 27, 2021

  • British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is facing a mounting controversy this week over comments he allegedly made last year.
  • News headlines in the U.K. are currently dominated with reports that Johnson allegedly told aides in Downing Street that he would rather see the “bodies pile high in their thousands” than approve a third lockdown.
  • Johnson and Downing Street strongly deny the reports.

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson gestures as he campaigns in Llandudno, north Wales on April 26, 2021.

PHIL NOBLE | AFP | Getty Images

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is facing mounting controversy this week over comments he allegedly made last year during the height of the country's coronavirus pandemic.

News headlines in the U.K. are dominated by reports that Johnson allegedly told aides in Downing Street that he would rather see the “bodies pile high in their thousands” than approve a third national lockdown.

Johnson and Downing Street have vehemently denied that he used the phrase. On Monday, Johnson described the reports as “absolute rubbish,” and when asked whether he had made the remark, told reporters: “No, but again, I think the important thing … that people want us to get on and do as a government is to make sure that the lockdowns work, and they have.”

The alleged comments, first reported by the Daily Mail Sunday citing anonymous Conservative Party sources, were reportedly said by the prime minister in mid-October after he had reluctantly agreed to a second lockdown that the country began in November.

The paper claimed the prime minister, frustrated over having to impose a second round of restrictions on public life and the economy, told aides: “No more —-ing lockdowns — let the bodies pile high in their thousands!”

The BBC and ITV both backed the story Monday, saying unnamed sources had also confirmed to them that the comments were made.

The alleged comments have provoked a frenzy among the British tabloid media, and hurt among the families of Covid victims after a difficult year for the country.

The U.K. has been badly hit by the pandemic; to date, it has recorded over 4.2 million cases and over 127,000 deaths. Still, its efficient vaccination rollout has enabled it to dramatically reduce the number of Covid cases, hospitalizations and deaths.

The reports come at a bad time for the prime minister, amid a flurry of stories that have put his conduct and integrity under the microscope. In the last week there have been questions over the source of funding for the refurbishment of Johnson's residence, Downing Street leaks to the press and contact between high-ranking officials and business leaders.

Much of the scrutiny comes after a series of damaging allegations were made by Johnson's former chief aide Dominic Cummings last week, which also increased speculation over power struggles in Downing Street last year.

Members of the media surround former Number 10 special advisor Dominic Cummings (R) as he leaves his residence in London on November 14, 2020.

JUSTIN TALLIS | AFP | Getty Images

The BBC reported that Johnson will chair a cabinet meeting Tuesday as he attempts to deflect attention from the growing furor. A Downing Street spokesperson told CNBC Tuesday: “The government is totally focused on delivering the people's priorities as we continue our vaccination programme and recover from coronavirus, creating new jobs and building back better.”

On the refurbishment of Johnson's residence at Downing Street, No.10 said the “costs of wider refurbishment in this year have been met by the Prime Minister personally.”

British newspapers, and the political opposition, are unlikely to let the PM off the hook so readily, however.

The Daily Mail — a right-leaning newspaper that has previously supported Boris Johnson — headlined its paper with “Boris on the ropes” on Tuesday, while the Metro paper led its front page with the phrase: “PM tainted by sleaze, say voters,” citing a poll that showed half of those polled believed there was a “culture of sleaze” in government.

The headlines came after Shadow Cabinet Office Minister Rachel Reeves said, “we're seeing the pipes burst with the sewage of allegations” against the government. She also described Johnson's alleged comments, which have been taken to suggest that he would have rather allowed thousands of deaths rather than another lockdown, as “stomach churning.”

The left-leaning Guardian newspaper headlined its paper Tuesday with: “Pressure on Johnson after claim of slur on Covid dead,” while the right-leaning Daily Express led with Johnson's rebuttal: “Boris denies 'let bodies pile high' outburst.”

Further reports emerged on Tuesday, however, with The Times newspaper saying it had been “repeatedly told” — although it did not name sources — that Johnson had said last September that he would rather let the coronavirus “rip” than impose a second lockdown because of the economic harm further restrictions would cause.


قراءة المزيد
– April 27, 2021
Boris Johnson Questions for continue over funding of flat