ADarkWeb

Michael Jackson Court dismisses lawsuit from accuser Wade Robson


Wade Robson's lawsuit against Michael Jackson estate thrown out … Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:00:00 +0100-A judge in LA rules Wade Robson cannot sue Jackson's businesses over abuse he allegedly suffered.

Michael Jackson: Court dismisses lawsuit from accuser Wade Robson

image copyrightGetty Images
image captionWade Robson used to perform alongside Jackson when he was a child

Michael Jackson's estate has succeeded again in having a lawsuit from one of the late pop star's accusers dismissed.

A Los Angeles judge ruled on Monday that Wade Robson cannot sue Jackson's businesses over the childhood sexual abuse he allegedly suffered.

Robson, whose accusations featured in the documentary Leaving Neverland, is expected to appeal the decision.

Last year, the same judge ruled against fellow accuser James Safechuck on similar grounds.

In his latest ruling, LA County Superior Court Judge Mark A Young held that Jackson's companies had “no legal ability” to control his behaviour because he was the sole owner, and could “remove any and all of the board members without cause or notice”.

Robson and Safechuck claim they were abused by the singer in the late 1980s and early 1990s while staying at his Neverland ranch.

The pair were allowed to pursue legal claims against two of Jackson's companies last year, having had previous lawsuits dismissed.

On Monday, however, lawyers for MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures succeeded in obtaining a summary judgment dismissing Mr Robson's claims.

The judge agreed that the companies had no relationship with Robson that would create a legal duty for them to protect him from the alleged molestation.

image captionRobson, pictured with Jackson in the 1990s, claims the singer sexually abused him

“There is no evidence supporting [the] Plaintiff's contention that [the] Defendants exercised control over Jackson,” wrote Young in his eight-page summary.

“[The] Defendants had no legal ability to control Jackson, because Jackson had complete and total ownership of the corporate defendants.”

The judge ruled there was no evidence of misfeasance and that Mr Robson had been unable to demonstrate “extreme and outrageous conduct”.

Lawyers for Jackson's estate welcomed the ruling and accused Mr Robson of “pursuing frivolous claims [that] have no merit whatsoever.”

Jackson's family have denied the claims made against the singer, who died in 2009, and have called the Leaving Neverland documentary a “public lynching”.

His nephew Taj welcomed Monday's decision, saying his family had “stood strong and never wavered” despite being “ridiculed, vilified and marginalised”.

Mr Robson's attorney, Vince Finaldi, said the ruling contained “fatal flaws” and that he would take his clients claims “to the Supreme Court if necessary”.

He said the ruling, if allowed to stand, would set “a dangerous precedent” that would leave children in the entertainment industry vulnerable to sexual abuse.

Leaving Neverland was shown at the Sundance Film festival in Utah in January 2019 and was subsequently broadcast on Channel 4.

Dan Reed's two-part documentary went on to win awards at the 2019 Primetime Emmys and the 2020 TV Baftas.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.

image copyrightGetty Images
image captionWade Robson used to perform alongside Jackson when he was a child

Michael Jackson's estate has succeeded again in having a lawsuit from one of the late pop star's accusers dismissed.

A Los Angeles judge ruled on Monday that Wade Robson cannot sue Jackson's businesses over the childhood sexual abuse he allegedly suffered.

Robson, whose accusations featured in the documentary Leaving Neverland, is expected to appeal the decision.

Last year, the same judge ruled against fellow accuser James Safechuck on similar grounds.

In his latest ruling, LA County Superior Court Judge Mark A Young held that Jackson's companies had “no legal ability” to control his behaviour because he was the sole owner, and could “remove any and all of the board members without cause or notice”.

Robson and Safechuck claim they were abused by the singer in the late 1980s and early 1990s while staying at his Neverland ranch.

The pair were allowed to pursue legal claims against two of Jackson's companies last year, having had previous lawsuits dismissed.

On Monday, however, lawyers for MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures succeeded in obtaining a summary judgment dismissing Mr Robson's claims.

The judge agreed that the companies had no relationship with Robson that would create a legal duty for them to protect him from the alleged molestation.

image captionRobson, pictured with Jackson in the 1990s, claims the singer sexually abused him

“There is no evidence supporting [the] Plaintiff's contention that [the] Defendants exercised control over Jackson,” wrote Young in his eight-page summary.

“[The] Defendants had no legal ability to control Jackson, because Jackson had complete and total ownership of the corporate defendants.”

The judge ruled there was no evidence of misfeasance and that Mr Robson had been unable to demonstrate “extreme and outrageous conduct”.

Lawyers for Jackson's estate welcomed the ruling and accused Mr Robson of “pursuing frivolous claims [that] have no merit whatsoever.”

Jackson's family have denied the claims made against the singer, who died in 2009, and have called the Leaving Neverland documentary a “public lynching”.

His nephew Taj welcomed Monday's decision, saying his family had “stood strong and never wavered” despite being “ridiculed, vilified and marginalised”.

Mr Robson's attorney, Vince Finaldi, said the ruling contained “fatal flaws” and that he would take his clients claims “to the Supreme Court if necessary”.

He said the ruling, if allowed to stand, would set “a dangerous precedent” that would leave children in the entertainment industry vulnerable to sexual abuse.

Leaving Neverland was shown at the Sundance Film festival in Utah in January 2019 and was subsequently broadcast on Channel 4.

Dan Reed's two-part documentary went on to win awards at the 2019 Primetime Emmys and the 2020 TV Baftas.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.


قراءة المزيد

Michael Jackson: Court dismisses lawsuit from accuser Wade Robson Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:00:00 +0100-A lawsuit filed by Wade Robson against Michael Jackson's estate has been thrown out by a judge in Los Angeles.

Wade Robson’s lawsuit against Michael Jackson estate thrown out of court

April 27, 2021

A lawsuit filed by Wade Robson against Michael Jackson‘s estate has been thrown out by a judge in Los Angeles.

Choreographer Robson sued Jackson’s estate in 2013, alleging that the pop icon had sexually abused him for almost 10 years, with the singer’s MJJ Productions and MJJ Ventures playing a role in facilitating the abuse.

The lawsuit has now been dismissed by LA County Superior Court Judge Mark A Young, who upheld an earlier tentative ruling and agreed with the estate that it had no legal duty to protect Robson from the alleged abuse.

“There is no evidence supporting Plaintiff’s contention that Defendants exercised control over Jackson,” wrote Judge Young.

“The evidence further demonstrates that Defendants had no legal ability to control Jackson, because Jackson had complete and total ownership of the corporate defendants.”

Wade Robson testifies in defence of Michael Jackson in 2005

“Without control, there is no special relationship or duty that exists between Defendants and Plaintiff. In addition, there is no evidence of misfeasance by Defendant.”

Robson’s suit was initially dismissed in December 2017, with a judge ruling that it was filed outside the statute of limitations. It was subsequently revived earlier this year, after the state of California introduced a law that allowed people to file sexual assault claims against third parties until the age of 40. Previous legislation had limited such claims to the age of 26.

Jonathan Steinsapir, the attorney for the Jackson estate, said: “As of today, a summary judgment against Wade Robson has been granted three different times by two different judges of the Superior Court.

“Wade Robson has spent the last eight years pursuing frivolous claims in different lawsuits against Michael Jackson’s estate and companies associated with it.

“Robson has taken nearly three dozen depositions and inspected and presented hundreds of thousands of documents trying to prove his claims, yet a Judge has once again ruled that Robson’s claims have no merit whatsoever, that no trial is necessary and that his latest case is dismissed.”

Robson’s attorney has since announced that he plans to appeal the decision.

Robson’s allegations of abuse against Jackson were detailed in the 2019 documentary Leaving Neverland, which saw him and James Safechuck alleging that they were abused when left alone with the singer at his California home.

Jackson’s estate has denied all allegations of abuse.


قراءة المزيد
– April 27, 2021
Michael Jackson Court dismisses lawsuit from accuser Wade Robson