ADarkWeb

European Super League Uefa and PL condemn breakaway plan

Super League


European Super League European Super League PL and breakaway condemn plan Uefa

Sun, 18 Apr 2021 16:00:00 +0100

Uefa and the Premier League have strongly condemned 12 major European clubs, including the 'big six' from England, signing up to a breakaway European 

Last updated on .comments4660Uefa and the Premier League have strongly condemned 12 major European clubs, including the 'big six' from England, signing up to a breakaway European Super League.Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are part of the group.La Liga's Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid and Serie A's AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus are involved.Uefa said it will use "all measures" possible to stop the "cynical project".Senior figures at European football's governing body are furious about the proposals.None of the clubs involved have commented yet but it is thought a statement is likely to be released later on Sunday.BBC Sport was told last week of plans for some sort of confirmation about a European Super League.Uefa had hoped to head off plans with a new-look 36-team Champions League set to be confirmed on Monday.The European governing body released a joint statement together with the English Football Association, Premier League, Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) as well as Serie A, on Sunday.They said they will "remain united" in trying to stop the breakaway, using both judicial and sporting measures if required.They also reiterated Fifa's stance that players taking part in the Super League would be banned from all other competitions at domestic, European or world level and could be prevented from representing their national teams.In a separate statement, the Premier League said it condemned the proposal as it "attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart" of domestic and European football.The UK government also criticised the plans, with Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden saying in a statement "we are concerned this plan could create a closed shop at the very top of our national game".He added: "We have a football pyramid where funds from the globally successful Premier League flow down the leagues and into local communities.

"I would be bitterly disappointed to see any action that destroys that."Juventus owner Andrea Agnelli, Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and AC Milan chief executive Ivan Gazidis would all have had a significant input into the Champions League discussions on Friday.However, those clubs are among those to have broken ranks, to the fury of Uefa, whose president Aleksander Ceferin wanted to stave off a Super League threat.The Premier League said a European Super League would "destroy" the dream of fans that "their team may climb to the top and play against the best".

It added such a league would "undermine the appeal of the whole game" and that they would work with the FA, the English Football League, Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), League Managers Association (LMA) and fans to "defend the integrity and future prospects of English football".The FA said it will "not provide permission to any competition that would be damaging to English football" and will "take any legal and/or regulatory action necessary" to stop it.Bundesliga sides are opposed to the plans because the German model means commercial investors cannot have more than a 49% stake in clubs, so fans hold a majority of their own voting rights.It is understood French Ligue 1 side Paris St-Germain are not part of the group.Uefa said it thanked "those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up" to the breakaway league."We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced," they added."This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long.

Enough is enough."Quite when the European Super League would start is unclear.However, world governing body Fifa has already said it would not recognise such a competition and any players involved in it would be denied the chance to play at a World Cup.Serie A has called an emergency board meeting to discuss the matter.The Football Supporters' Association said it is "totally opposed" to the plans, which it said were "motivated by nothing but cynical greed".They added: "This competition is being created behind our backs by billionaire club owners who have zero regard for the game's traditions and continue to treat football as their personal fiefdom."The PFA said it had "substantial concerns" about the proposal, adding it would "detract from the strength and joy of domestic football and diminish the game for the vast majority of fans across the continent".France's President Emmanuel Macron said he "welcomes the position of French clubs to refuse to participate" in a European Super League "that threatens the principle of solidarity and sporting merit."A statement from the French presidency added: "The French state will support all the steps taken by the LFP [France's professional leagues governing body], FFF [France's football association], Uefa and Fifa to protect the integrity of federal competitions, whether national or European."It has been agreed the new-look Champions League will involve an initial phase where every club plays 10 matches each rather than the current group phase.In addition there would be play-offs, followed by a knockout phase.The most controversial aspect of the proposals surround the allocation of the four additional places, with two being reserved for the clubs ranked highest in Uefa's co-efficient table who fail to qualify for the Champions League through their domestic competition, but do secure some kind of European football.At the moment, Liverpool and Chelsea would be the clubs who benefited from that system if it was in place this season.Former Manchester United captain Gary Neville said he is "absolutely disgusted" by the plans."I'm a Manchester United fan and have been for 40 years," Neville, who also co-owns League Two club Salford City, told Sky Sports.

"It's an absolute disgrace.

"Honestly, we have to wrestle back the power in this country from the clubs at the top of this league and that includes my club."The former England defender said the six English clubs involved should be docked points and fined."It's pure greed," Neville said.

"They're [the club's owners] imposters.

"They're nothing to do with football in this country.

There's 100-odd years of history in this country of fans who have lived and loved these clubs."We're in the middle of a pandemic and an economic crisis.

Football clubs in the (semi-professional) National League are going bust, furloughing players and these lot are having Zoom calls about breaking away."Dock them all points tomorrow.

Put them at the bottom of the league and take the money off them.

Seriously.

You have to stamp on this.".

European Super League

Sun, 18 Apr 2021 16:00:00 +0100

UEFA has reacted angrily to the threat of six English clubs joining a breakaway European Super League

.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, 

Data returned from the Piano ‘meterActive/meterExpired’ callback event.As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles.Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services.

These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience – the local community.It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times.Lochgelly 7°cChampions League trophyUEFA has reacted angrily to the threat of six English clubs joining a breakaway European Super League.Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester City have signed up to the breakaway plan, according to reports, and will be joined by teams from Italy and Spain.A joint statement from UEFA, the Football Associations of England, Spain and Italy, plus the Premier League, LaLiga and Serie A added they remained united in their efforts to “stop this cynical project” and were considering all “judicial and sporting (measures) in order to prevent this happening”.UEFA, the English Football Association, the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), LaLiga, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have today released a statement.Read it in full here: 👇— UEFA (@UEFA) April 18, 2021The statement said: “If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we – UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.“We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening.

Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.“As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.“We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this.

We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced.“This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long.

Enough is enough.”In a solo statement, the Football Association said: “It is clear that this would be damaging to English and European football at all levels and will attack the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are fundamental to competitive sport.“For new competitions to be formed involving clubs from different associations, approval would be required from the relevant national associations, confederation and/or FIFA.Statement from The @FA: pic.twitter.com/cyaEHoL7Z2— FA Spokesperson (@FAspokesperson) April 18, 2021“We would not provide permission to any competition that would be damaging to English football, and will take any legal and/or regulatory action necessary to protect the broader interests of the game.“We note FIFA confirmed earlier this year that they and the six confederations would not recognise any such competition and, as such, any player or club involved may not be permitted to participate in any official competition which falls within the auspices of FIFA or their respective confederation.“The FA will continue to work with UEFA, FIFA and the Premier League to seek to ensure that nothing is approved that has the potential to damage English football.

We will work with fans, the Premier League, EFL, PFA and LMA, as well as other stakeholders, at home and abroad, to defend the integrity and future prospects of English football in the best interests of the game.”The Premier League issued its own strongly-worded statement as the news broke on the eve of a meeting where UEFA is expected to rubber-stamp a revamped 36-team Champions League.The Premier League condemns European Super League proposalMore: https://t.co/23VOa0H2w8 pic.twitter.com/rQlH8ITyrM— Premier League Communications (@PLComms) April 18, 2021“The Premier League condemns any proposal that attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart of the domestic and European football pyramid,” the league said in a statement.“Fans of any club in England and across Europe can currently dream that their team may climb to the top and play against the best.

We believe that the concept of a European Super League would destroy this dream.“A European Super League will undermine the appeal of the whole game, and have a deeply damaging impact on the immediate and future prospects of the Premier League and its member clubs, and all those in football who rely on our funding and solidarity to prosper.”Don’t panic….alright then, let’s panic.

https://t.co/9Q1mkyXnQq— Gary Lineker 💙 (@GaryLineker) April 18, 2021TV presenter and former England striker Gary Lineker tweeted of the Super League reports: “If this is true it will have huge ramifications on the game.

Huge.”On the publication of the Premier League statement, Lineker added: “Don’t panic….alright then, let’s panic.”Gary Neville, speaking on Sky Sports, said: “I’m not against the modernisation of football competitions, we have the Premier League, the Champions League, but I think to bring forward proposals in the midst of Covid and the economic crisis for all clubs is an absolute scandal.“United and the rest of the Big Six that have signed up to it against the rest of the Premier League should be ashamed of themselves.“They should deduct six points off all six teams that have signed up to it.

Deduct points off them all.

To do it during a season? It’s a joke.”Neville’s former United team-mate Roy Keane added: “I think it comes down to money and greed.

Obviously we’ve not heard anything from FIFA yet, but it doesn’t sound good.“Let’s hope it is stopped in its tracks.

It’s just pure greed.”UEFA’s executive committee meet on Monday and are expected to agree a controversial revamp of the Champions League.The so-called ‘Swiss model’ will see teams compete in one 36-team league – instead of the current system where 32 sides are split into eight pools of four – and guarantee each club 10 matches on a seeded basis.🗣 ICYMI “We demand that you drop your reckless plans.”✍️ Fans’ groups from clubs on the @ECAEurope Board have written an open letter to chairman Andrea Agnelli opposing #UCL  reforms.

FSE has signed the letter & fully supports their stance.

#StopUCLReforms pic.twitter.com/bwEqM2VL8s— Fans Europe (FSE) (@FansEurope) April 18, 2021The new format, which guarantees clubs four more games than in the current group phase, takes the Champions League from 125 to 225 matches and would create a huge headache for domestic schedulers.EFL chairman Rick Parry says it would be a “major threat” to the Carabao Cup and the FA also wrote to UEFA to express its concerns.Fans groups, including those from Manchester United and Arsenal, said in an open letter to ECA chairman and Juventus boss Andrea Agnelli that the plans to restructure the Champions League “present a serious threat to the entire game”.The letter, signed by 17 fans’ groups from 14 teams whose clubs are in the ECA, including Ajax, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, said it was a “blatant power grab” and would “wreck domestic calendars”.The new format would see the league’s top eight qualify automatically for the last-16 knockout stage, with the teams finishing between ninth and 24th playing off for the remaining eight places.Extra games would see the Champions League encroach into January – a month usually kept free for domestic club football – while the allocation of two of the extra four places to sides based on previous European performance has also proved controversial.A team could still qualify for the Champions League based on ‘historic co-efficient’ as long as they did enough domestically to finish in a Europa League or Europa Conference League position.Discussions over the commercial control of the competition are set to continue in the coming weeks.

Last Updated: Are you sure you want to delete this comment?Get involved with the news in your communityThis website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation’s Editors’ Code of Practice.

If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to inaccuracy or intrusion, then please contact the editor here.

If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can contact IPSO here©Copyright 2001-2021.

This site is part of Newsquest’s audited local newspaper network.

A Gannett Company.

Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

HP10 9TY | 01676637 | Registered in England & Wales..

– April 18, 2021
European Super League Uefa and PL condemn breakaway plan
Super League