NewsUK

David Lammy 2021 praised for handling of radio caller who told him he is .

David Lammy 2021  praised for handling of radio caller who told him he is .

David Lammy David Lammy he … told for praised who him handling caller is of radio

Tue, 30 Mar 2021 07:00:00 +0100

David Lammy has received praise for his handling of a caller to his radio show who said he could not describe himself as English

.

The Tottenham MP, 48, was 

Data returned from the Piano ‘meterActive/meterExpired’ callback event.

As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles.

Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services.

These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience – the local community.

It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times.

Richmond 9°c

David Lammy

David Lammy has received praise for his handling of a caller to his radio show who said he could not describe himself as English.

The Tottenham MP, 48, was discussing the term BAME on his LBC show when he faced a member of the public who said he “will never be English”.

The caller, named Jean, said: “You will never be English, you are African-Caribbean.”

In response, Mr Lammy gave a brief history of British colonialism, and said his parents were among many people from around the world who “ended up coming back to the mother country”.

He continued: “Here I am, having grown up in this country, have been born of this country, and actually the truth is it’s a myth there’s one English ethnicity – there’s not.

“England has always been a country in which Huguenots, Danes, all sorts of people have passed through.

“So when you say you are English, I’m not saying that doesn’t mean something to you and matter hugely… but it is to say that for me, the fact that I was born here and the fact that my sensibilities are English mean I want to claim that heritage as well.”

The caller went on to say that it was “fine” for Mr Lammy to say he was British, but that he was “not English”.

Mr Lammy, the shadow justice secretary, said: “In countries like Barbados, there are significant white Caribbean populations who have been there for hundreds of years.

“They are significantly more Caribbean than I am.”

Jean replied: “All I can say is the whole world is polluting everybody the way it’s going.”

This is disgraceful.

The way that Black Britons have to justify their Britishness or Englishness is absolutely disgusting.

Solidarity with @DavidLammy who dealt with this impeccably.

David is just as British or English as I am and he’s the best of Britain and the best of England https://t.co/mHjnXd2Q5X

— Angela Rayner 😷 (@AngelaRayner) March 29, 2021

Mr Lammy responded that her outlook was “negative”, and added: “Just as you can be in America and be African-American, or you can be Italian-American, or you can be Irish-American, how is it that here in England, you can only claim that Englishness effectively, Jean, if you are white?”

The conversation was viewed widely on social media, with the clip quickly racking up more than two million views on Twitter, while David Lammy was the top trend on the same platform on Monday evening.

Among those to tweet their praise for Mr Lammy was Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, who wrote: “Huge admiration for my friend @DavidLammy.

Well said.”

Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner wrote: “This is disgraceful.

The way that Black Britons have to justify their Britishness or Englishness is absolutely disgusting.

“Solidarity with @DavidLammy who dealt with this impeccably.

David is just as British or English as I am and he’s the best of Britain and the best of England.”

SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon wrote: “Bravo @DavidLammy.”

Mr Lammy himself later tweeted to say: “Don’t ever tell me I’m ‘not English’.”

He had originally been discussing the reported recommendation from Boris Johnson’s racial disparity commission that the term BAME, which stands for black, Asian and minority ethnic, should no longer be used.

Mr Lammy said: “I’ve said for ages that the term is lazy, it’s impersonal.

“I don’t like being described as jargon – I’m not jargon.

“I’m black, I’m English, I’m British and I’m proud.

“I want my identities recognised appropriately… I’m of African descent, African-Caribbean descent, but I am English.”

Last Updated:

Are you sure you want to delete this comment?

Get involved with the news in your community

This website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation’s Editors’ Code of Practice.

If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to inaccuracy or intrusion, then please contact the editor here.

If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can contact IPSO here

This site is part of Newsquest’s audited local newspaper network.

A Gannett Company.

Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

HP10 9TY | 01676637 | Registered in England & Wales.

.

David Lammy David Lammy

Tue, 30 Mar 2021 07:00:00 +0100

Caller to shadow justice secretary's radio show suggested he could not describe himself as English because he is not white

.

Caller to shadow justice secretary’s radio show suggested he could not describe himself as English because he is not white

Last modified on Mon 29 Mar 2021 19.20 EDT

David Lammy has been praised for showing patience and grace in his handling of a caller to his radio show who suggested he could not describe himself as English because he is not white.

The shadow justice secretary, 48, was discussing the term BAME, which he called lazy and impersonal, on his LBC show, when he offered a more appropriate description of his identities: “I’m of African descent, African-Caribbean descent, but I am English.”

A caller, named Jean, said it was not possible to be both African-Caribbean and English.

She told him: “You will never be English, you are African-Caribbean.”

Lammy countered with a brief history of British colonialism and explained that the fact that he has African-Caribbean roots does not stop him from also being English.

The Labour MP for Tottenham said his parents were among many people from around the world who “ended up coming back to the mother country”, and said the idea of an English ethnicity was a myth and that Englishness as an identity was civic in nature.

“Here I am, having grown up in this country, have been born of this country, and actually the truth is it’s a myth there’s one English ethnicity – there’s not,” he said.

“England has always been a country in which Huguenots, Danes, all sorts of people have passed through.

“So when you say you are English, I’m not saying that doesn’t mean something to you and matter hugely … but it is to say that for me, the fact that I was born here and the fact that my sensibilities are English mean I want to claim that heritage as well.”

The caller went on to insist that it was “fine” for Lammy to say he was British, but that he was “not English”.

She then went on to suggest that because she is white, she would never describe herself as Caribbean.

Lammy responded: “Well then you probably don’t realise that in countries like Barbados, there are significant white Caribbean populations who have been there for hundreds of years, and they are significantly more Caribbean than I am.”

Jean replied: “All I can say is the whole world is polluting everybody the way it’s going.”

Lammy said her language and outlook on mixed heritage was “negative” and asked her why her perception of English identity was racialised.

“Just as you can be in America and be African American, or you can be Italian American, or you can be Irish American, how is it that here in England, you can only claim that Englishness effectively, Jean, if you are white?”

The conversation was shared widely on social media, with the clip quickly racking up more than two million views on Twitter, where David Lammy became the top trending subject on Monday evening.

Among those to tweet their praise was the Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, who wrote: “Huge admiration for my friend David Lammy.

Well said.”

The party’s deputy leader Angela Rayner called it “absolutely disgusting” that Lammy had had to justify his Englishness because of his skin colour.

She tweeted: “This is disgraceful.

The way that Black Britons have to justify their Britishness or Englishness is absolutely disgusting.

“Solidarity with David Lammy who dealt with this impeccably.

David is just as British or English as I am and he’s the best of Britain and the best of England.”

Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister of Scotland, wrote: “Bravo David Lammy.” MPs from across the political spectrum commended his patience and composure, among them the Tory former chancellor Sajid Javid who tweeted the clip with the caption: “100% English”.

Lammy himself later tweeted the clip to say: “Don’t ever tell me I’m ‘not English’.”

He had originally been discussing the reported recommendation from Boris Johnson’s racial disparity commission that the term BAME, which stands for black, Asian and minority ethnic, should be scrapped.

Lammy said: “I’ve said for ages that the term is lazy, it’s impersonal.

I don’t like being described as jargon – I’m not jargon.

I’m black, I’m English, I’m British and I’m proud.”

.

– March 30, 2021
David Lammy 2021 praised for handling of radio caller who told him he is .

Tags
Back to top button