Aguero Aguero brilliant City's How Manchester Sergio Agüero? is
Mon, 29 Mar 2021 21:00:00 +0100
Manchester City have announced that Sergio Agüero, the club's all-time leading scorer, will leave at the end of the season
We salute the man who will always
Monday 29 March 2021
Manchester City have announced that Sergio Agüero, the club’s all-time leading scorer, will leave at the end of the season.
We salute the man who will always be “Agüerooooooooo”.
Sergio Agüero, Manchester City’s all-time top scorer, will leave the club at the end of the season.
UEFA.com gives ‘Kun’ his due.
“When I arrived at Independiente, they told me there was a phenomenon in the academy.
One day I called him in to train with the first team and he killed everyone.
He convinced us immediately.”
Oscar Ruggeri, former Independiente coach
“Playing with him was one reason I joined Atlético Madrid.
I’d first seen him on television in Argentina, where he made his debut aged 15 for my old team Independiente.
A boy stood out against men.
He scored one goal in a derby and I jumped up off the sofa in astonishment.
Agüero has a natural instinct for scoring goals.”
Diego Forlán, former Atlético team-mate
“He’s a legend, and it’s a part of history in the club.
Agüero’s numbers speak for themselves – he is amazing.”
Josep Guardiola, Manchester City manager
International: 97 appearances, 41 goals
UEFA club competition: 106 appearances, 63 goals
European domestic competition: 512 appearances, 293 goals
• Agüero had a splendid record in home games against Barcelona, scoring twice in a 4-2 victory in March 2008 and a double in a 4-3 thriller exactly 12 months later.
• He won the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League, registering two crucial away goals that sent Atlético through to the quarter-finals at Sporting CP’s expense.
• Agüero totalled 75 Liga goals across five seasons with Atlético, reaching the 20-mark in 2007/08 and 2010/11.
• “Agüerooooooooo! I swear you’ll never see anything like this ever again!” commentator Martin Tyler famously yelled when, with 93:20 on the clock, City’s No10 scored the goal against Queens Park Rangers in May 2012 that won the Citizens their first top-flight championship since 1968.
• Both of Agüero’s UEFA Champions League hat-tricks, group stage to final, have come in a City shirt.
His side were 2-1 down at home to Bayern München in November 2014 when the Argentinian international famously struck twice in the final five minutes to complete his treble and give City a shot at qualification away to Roma on matchday six.
• Agüero picked up the Premier League Golden Boot for his 26 goals during 2014/15.
• Became the fifth player to score five in a single Premier League game on Saturday 3 October 2015.
With the Sky Blues trailing at home to Newcastle United, City’s main man struck five times in 21 minutes either side of half-time as his side turned a 1-0 deficit into a 6-1 win.
• Became the 16th player to reach 50 UEFA club competion goals when he scored for City in their opening UEFA Champions League group stage game of 2017/18 – a 4-0 win at Feyenoord.
• The second goal in his hat-trick in the subsequent league game, a 6-0 success at Watford, was his 200th top-division strike since he came to Europe.
• Scored his 178th City goal against Napoli on 1 November 2017 to break Eric Brook’s 78-year-old club record.
• Hit 21 Premier League goals in 2017/18 and 2018/19 as City claimed back-to-back titles, and completed collection of English domestic trophies by lifting FA Cup in 2018/19.
• Moved ahead of Thierry Henry (175) and Frank Lampard (177) in the list of the Premier League all-time leading scorers in 2020.
He now lies fourth with 181, behind only Andy Cole (187), Wayne Rooney (208) and Alan Shearer (260).
• Agüero was given the nickname ‘Kun’, which he sports on the back of his Manchester City shirt, as a child by his grandparents owing to his resemblance to a Japanese cartoon character called Kum Kum from his favourite TV series.
• Agüero became the youngest debutant in the Argentinian first division when he was sent on as a substitute for Independiente against San Lorenzo on 5 July 2003, just a month after his 15th birthday.
• Agüero was a FIFA U-20 World Cup winner in 2005 and 2007.
He was awarded the Golden Ball and Golden Boot at the latter tournament in Canada after scoring six goals in seven appearances.
• Only Lionel Messi (71) and Gabrial Batistuta (54) have scored more goals for Argentina than Agüero (41)
• Agüero is not a fan of hot weather and likes the rain in Manchester as it helps him get to sleep.
• Messi wrote the foreword to ‘Sergio Kun Aguero: Born to Rise: My Story’, which was published in 2014.
He was Messi’s room-mate with the national team.
• Liverpool were Agüero’s choice of team on video games when he was a kid.
• “My nickname is different in comparison to most athletes and so I have grown to appreciate it because it’s unique.
It’s not every day an athlete is nicknamed after a cartoon character!”
“I like tricks, I like to dazzle.
Dribbling and leaving your opponent on his backside is what life is for.
If I achieve what I want to, then I’ll mark a distinct era in football.
I’m the Che Guevara of modern soccer.”
“[The last day of the 2011/12 season] was a crazy situation because we knew the scenario required to win the title, but I felt I’d die if we didn’t win or that I’d kill myself if we blew our title chance! OK, maybe that’s a little dramatic, but it felt like there would be nothing to look forward to if we failed.”
© 1998-2021 UEFA.
All rights reserved.
The UEFA word, the UEFA logo and all marks related to UEFA competitions, are protected by trademarks and/or copyright of UEFA.
No use for commercial purposes may be made of such trademarks.
Mon, 29 Mar 2021 21:00:00 +0100
Record scorer to leave at end of season after 10 years at club · Striker talks of 'indestructible bond' with City's supporters
First published on Mon 29 Mar 2021 15.27 EDT
Sergio Agüero will walk away from Manchester City in the summer with golden memories and an “indestructible bond” with the club’s supporters.
The Argentina international, who will be 33 in June, will not have his contract renewed as both parties look to the future.
Agüero is City’s record scorer with 257 goals in 384 appearances since arriving from Atlético Madrid in the summer of 2011 and is the highest-scoring overseas player in Premier League history.
He will forever be remembered for that magical moment in the final match of the 2011-12 season, when he struck the winner in stoppage time against Queens Park Rangers to secure the club’s first English title in 44 years.
Agüero is to be honoured with a statue at the Etihad Stadium, alongside the former captain Vincent Kompany and David Silva.
Announcing his departure, the striker was keen to emphasise his bond with the City fans after a 10-year stay at the club.
He wrote on Twitter: “Ten seasons with major achievements, throughout which I was able to become the top historic goalscorer and forging an indestructible bond with all those who love this club – people who will always be in my heart.”
Agüero has struggled with injuries since having knee surgery in the close season, with a hamstring problem punctuating his comeback.
He also was forced to sit out a month after a Covid-19 infection in January.
His injury record will have played a part in the contractual decision but the forward believes he still has plenty to offer.
“A new stage with new challenges will begin and I am fully ready to face them with the same passion and professionalism that I have always dedicated to continue competing at the highest level,” he added.
The prolific Borussia Dortmund forward Erling Braut Haaland has already been heavily linked with a summer move to City.
In the decade since arriving from Atlético for £38m, Agüero has made an indelible mark at the club.
His winner against QPR stands alone in its significance but there were other major milestones.
His goal in a 4-2 Champions League win at Napoli in 2017 meant he broke Eric Brook’s 78-year club scoring record and a hat-trick against Aston Villa last year took him past Alan Shearer for the most Premier League trebles (12).
Aguëro has won four Premier League titles – with a fifth looking secure in what will be his final season.
“Sergio’s contribution to Manchester City over the last 10 years cannot be overstated,” said the City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak.
“His legend will be indelibly etched into the memories of everyone who loves the club and maybe even in those who simply love football.
“This is not yet the moment for farewell words and speeches.
There is still much to achieve in the remainder of the time we have with Sergio, and we look forward to his contributions to the challenges which lay ahead.
“In the meantime, it gives me great pleasure to announce that we will be commissioning an artist to create a statue of Sergio to live at the Etihad Stadium alongside the ones under construction for Vincent and David.
And we look forward to the opportunity to bid Sergio a fitting farewell at the end of the season.”
City are working on plans to mark his departure at the final home game of the season against Everton and they remain hopeful thousands of supporters will be permitted to attend the Etihad when lockdown measures could be eased further.
That would ensure Agüero, the last remaining player of the club’s first Premier League title-winning side, will receive what will undoubtedly be an emotional send-off for a player who touched so many fans’ hearts.
ESPN 10 hours ago
The Mirror 6 mins ago
Yahoo News 20 mins ago
Yahoo News 10 hours ago
Liverpool Echo 8 hours ago
BBC 9 hours ago
CBS Sports 10 hours ago
Barca Blaugranes 9 hours ago
Eurosport 10 hours ago
Premier League News, Video, Scores | NBC Sports ProSoccerTalk – NBC Sports 9 hours ago
Sergio Leonel Ag?ero del Castillo, commonly known as Kun Ag?ero, is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a striker for Premier League club Manchester City and the Argentina national team. He wears “Kun” on his shirt, a childhood… Wikipedia
Sergio Aguero to leave Manchester City at end of the season – ESPN
www.espn.com › soccer › manchester-city › story › sergio-aguero-to-leave…
10 hours ago ? Aguero, Citys record goal scorer with 257 goals in 384 games following his arrival from Atletico Madrid in 2011, has been linked with moves to Juventus and Barcelona. “Sergios contribution to Manchester City over the past 10 years cannot be overstated,” chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said.
Sergio Kun Aguero ✓
Twitter › aguerosergiokun
Sergio Ag?ero – Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Sergio_Ag?ero
7 hours ago ? Sergio Leonel Ag?ero del Castillo commonly known as Kun Ag?ero, is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a striker for Premier League club?… Club career ? Independiente ? Atl?tico Madrid ? Manchester City Awards: Premier League Player of the Month Position(s): Forward Nationality: Argentina Born: 2 June 1988
Aguero to leave Man City at the end of the season | Goal.com
www.goal.com › en-in › news › aguero-to-leave-man-city-at-the-end-of-th…
11 hours ago ? Manchester City have announced that striker Sergio Aguero will leave the club at the end of the season.
City to bid emotional farewell to Club legend Sergio Aguero this …
www.mancity.com › sergio-aguero-to-leave-manchester-city-63752641
11 hours ago ? Manchester City will bid a fond and emotional farewell to legendary striker Sergio Aguero when his contract expires this summer.
Sergio Ag?ero – Manchester City FC
www.mancity.com › players › sergio-aguero
Sergio Aguero has etched his name into Manchester City history as the all-time record goal scorer. ? Aguero has been a revelation since breaking Citys transfers ?…
Sergio Ag?ero – Player profile 20/21 | Transfermarkt
www.transfermarkt.us › sergio-aguero › profil › spieler
Sergio Ag?ero, 32, from Argentina ➤ Manchester City, since 2011 ➤ Centre- Forward ➤ Market value: $27.50m ➤ * Jun 2, 1988 in Quilmes, Argentina. Date of last contract extension: Sep 21, 2018 Contract expires: Jun 30, 2021 Foot: right Current club: Manchester City
Sergio Aguero to leave Manchester City at end of season – BBC Sport
www.bbc.com › sport › football
9 hours ago ? Argentine striker Sergio Aguero will leave Manchester City when his contract runs out at the end of the season.
Sergio Ag?ero Profile, News & Stats | Premier League
www.premierleague.com › players › Sergio-Ag?ero › overview
11 hours ago ? View the player profile of Manchester City Forward Sergio Ag?ero, including statistics and photos, on the official website of the Premier League.